This was my hair pre-washing and pre-latching. After finally figuring out how to latch my dreads, I did it today! Kinda. Last night I read about how latching can leave a hole in your dreads. So today I did what would be called a 1pt latch AKA playing with your dreads. :) I decided to do it because I didn't like the way some of my dreads were thinning at the root. (Yes I did read that latching can cause thinning - ARGH!!) I definitely won't be doing it for another 6 weeks or so.
What I did was hand latching. I don't even know if it worked. I don't even know what latching is supposed to do to dreads. I was inspired my this video:
I didn't even know hand latching existed at the time. But after watching that video, I knew I could easily do it with all the new growth I have. Later I did find out that this hand thing has a name:
(Thank g-d for youtube!) The lady in the video is doing it right. I only went through each lock ONCE. I hope that makes since. It probably isn't even called latching.
Here is my hair soaking wet after washing with Suave clarifying shampoo. No conditioner this time.
I didn't use any heat on my hair for the first time in a while. I wanted to see if this mattered with frizz (haha - NO). I "latched" my locks right after I watched them. This is how it looked from the top.
Another view:
A few hours later...my hair is about 40% dry. Still frizzy!
The end. Obviously latching can't be (?) used as a the only maintenance technique. When I get back into maintaining my hair, I will probably palmroll. I hate doing it cause it takes so long. And one bad night of sleep ruins it. So what is the point?? Hopefully by then I can figure out a way to braid the extra hair into my locks. I dunno. It took me 3 years to latch incorrectly. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment